Wednesday, January 25, 2006

 

Drink GOOD stuff...

...is the motto of d.b.a., a terrific and cozy beer bar located on 1st avenue in the Lower East Side. In addition to beer, they have a wide selection of whisky, bourbon, and tequila. The staff is friendly and welcoming.

While its not a big place, it has a bar with seats for about 12, and tables and counters all along the walls. There is a rear garden which must be really cool during the warmer months.

Above the bar are a group of large chalkboards with the current available selections. The beers on tap are rotated frequently, and there are also 2 hand-drawn selections available.

I stopped by around 8:30 pm last night and got a seat at the bar. They have a live webcam on their site but it is currently down. The webcam indicates that Friday and Saturday night they are pretty packed until the wee hours.

DBA also hosts various events each month, such as beer & cheese pairings and microbrewery visits.

So... to start I had:

31) Victory Hop Devil IPA - This was served hand drawn from a cask. Quite simply an amazing and very complex IPA. The color was a dark, cloudy orange... similar to the murky colors you get from some apple ciders. If hops are your thing you will love this beer.

32) Avery Old Jubilation Ale - A wonderful choice for the winter. Deep mahogany color and a pleasant blast of coffee, chocolate, and roasted nut flavors.

By the way, cheese & crackers here are complimentary, so I ordered up a plate for dinner. There were three cheeses offered: brie, an creamy herb cheese, and a walnut raspberry cheese. I am not a cheese whiz so I couldn't tell you exactly what the last two were.

Finally...

33) Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux - This was a saison. 9.5%, from Belgium. Very fruity aromas and flavors. I will have to try this again.

That was all I could handle. I stumbled back to the train station to head home, my legs numb, and my body warm.

33 beers down, 332 left to go.

A nice pleasant surprise was waiting for me when I arrived home... my first shipment as a member of the Microbrewed beer of the month club. I walked back to the apartment carrying the box with a satisfied drunken grin on my face.

Until next time...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?