Tuesday, December 16, 2008
I know... I know...
I'll get it up here soon but in the meantime, check out my new blog: http://awfulmets.blogspot.com
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Top 10 Worst of 2006
But first to update you on my 2007 beer activities... I have tried a whopping 11 new beers.
There is someone following in my footsteps in 2007, and you can follow his progress here: http://beer-retard.livejournal.com/
So head over and wish him luck!
Without further ado...
THE WORST OF 2006!!!
Now as a little disclaimer, I'm not necessarily going by the rankings. Some low rated beer might have been what I was in the mood for at the time, while something that was highly regarded could have tasted boring to me.
10) #307 - Left Hand Deep Cover Brown Ale - I wanted to find one beer to put on this list that was kind of an afterthought. This one passed me like a stranger on the street - you see the person coming towards you but once they're gone you can't remember a thing about them. This was the beer, of all the middle of the road ones I tried in 2006, that I couldn't pick out of a lineup if my life depended on it.
9) #254 - Odell Levity Amber Ale - Another bland one that I could hardly remember drinking. This one I noted as being the type of microbrew that is boring enough to send a macro drinker running back to his case of Bud.
8) #281 - Nikšićko Pivo - Nearly undrinkable pils from Montenegro. I remember this one being way out of balance and all over the place.
7) #29 - Molson Canadian Light - This one is wayyyyy down there on the quality scale and makes no secret of the fact... like a fat, drunk, impotent, unemployed dude at an eligible bachelor's convention.
6) #151 - Heineken Premium Light Lager - This is a beer inspired by marketing. There is no denying this fact. There is nothing "premium" about it. That is simply the label the marketing gurus came up with as a way to promote their new product. HORRENDOUS!!
5) #222 - Asahi Gubinama - The worst 5 begins with this... what tastes to me like a beer flavored soda. This is, believe it or not, brewed using soybeans and sugar, so you can imagine how nasty it is.
4) #150 - B.B. King's Blues Brew - Looks like I had back to back awful beers with this monstrosity coming just before the Heineken Marketing Light. Ugh... this tastes like BB King's sweat was added into the brewing process. Funky tasting and it was served nearly warm. I had gone back to this venue and tried another beer and it was also served at the same temperature. Someone needs to talk to management about that.
With the last 3 worst, I will just paste the original reviews, since they best capture the horror in immediate, graphic detail.
3) #228 - Sapporo Namashibori - The last beer I had in Japan I drank really quickly, and forgot to get a photo. I think this is another happoshu, and it takes like they soaked popcorn in water for 6 hours in the sun, cooled it, carbonated it, and canned it for all the world to drink.
2) #58 - Zhiguly Beer Grand 9.5 - Being half-Lithuanian (and half-Japanese - who could ever guess that combination?) I felt a responsibility to try this beer. I've only had 1 other Lithuanian beer in my life. The first sign of trouble is right there on the upper right-hand corner where it says "99¢." I picked it up with no intention of buying it until I saw it was from Lithuania. What a disgusting concoction. Sadly I picked up a bottle for my mom but I will have to warn her about the caustic metallic finish that accompanies this brew. Yuck!
1) #105 - Miyagi Memorial Date Rape Oktoberfest - What trash.
Thanks for the swill, Kuvs!
JUST KIDDING KAVAL!
Here is the real WORST of 2006:
1) #46 - Becks Light - Easily the most horrendous brew I have ever had the displeasure of tasting. Bottle touts that it is only 64 calories. Alcohol is only 3.8%. This should practically be a "non-alcoholic" beer. Pours a see-through, clear-as-day, 7th inning stretch, off-white piss color. Fizzy Sprite-like head that dissipates almost instantly. Faint day-old bread aroma. Carbonation and fizz swarms the palate with no discernable flavors to follow. Nasty, face-contorting finish packed with hints of regret, stupidity, and a desire to vomit after tasting this abomination. Bloated, gassy feeling followed by loud belching seals the deal.
See you soon with the Top 10 BEST of 2006...
Thursday, February 01, 2007
Welcome to 2007!
First question on a lot of people's minds is... "are you going to do it again?"
In fact, this year to date I have only tried 7 new beers and it is February 1.
I just wanted to make a quick post, and let everyone know I will soon be posting the much anticipated Best and Worst of 2006.
Check back soon!
Friday, December 29, 2006
I have had 365 beers this year... none of which I have previously tasted before.
As I sit here sipping beer #365, I realize that what I've done is nothing great... its just something that took a lot of patience and discipline to accomplish.
Anyway, that was it... my 365 Days of Beer. Have a Happy One...
365) Westvleteren Abt 12 - So this is the legendary Westy 12... The top rated beer in the world, and one of the rarest. I'm sipping this one slowly, to fully enjoy it. Right off the bat I will say I don't think its the best beer I've ever had. That honor still belongs to the Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. But, its damn complex. Pours a dark brown/ruby color with a tan head that lasts a long time. Aroma is complex... apples... raisins... plums.... chocolate... carmelized sugar... etc. Flavor is very complex too... spices... all of the above flavors... and the finish just lasts forever. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth, almost like drinking melted butter or cream. A fine way to end the night, and the 365 Days of Beer.
Thursday, December 28, 2006
Just one away...
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
Back in Business
Also, I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.
360) Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - I may have mentioned that imperial stouts are my favorite style, and this was one of the best I have had. This was aged in bourbon barrels and as such, absorbs all kinds of woodsy and smoky characteristics. Really enjoyable nightcap with none of the annoying sweetness of other recent dark beers I have had recently, such as those eisbocks.
361) Whole Foods Lamar St. Pale Ale - Actually contract brewed by the above Goose Island, this is a decent American Pale Ale that was nice and hoppy.
362) Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale - I've added a permanent link to Stone Brewing on the left. They can do no wrong. The oaked version of Arrogant Bastard was just as awesome as the regular one. If you love an in your face strong ale, this is the one for you.
So only 3 more left to reach 365. I am looking at having #365 on New Year's Eve, so between now and then, I have 5 days to have the other 2. Its only a matter of time now!
Thursday, December 21, 2006
Under the Weather...
359) Veltins Pilsener - Previously I thought I had finished off every beer in this bar, but I think this is a recent addition. This is a German pilsner. Bit of a thin body with a metallic taste. Bitter finish. Nothing great...
6 more to go! Hopefully I will feel better enough tonight to add another to the list!