Monday, January 23, 2006

 

A Medicinal Daze

I woke up Sunday morning with a bit of a sniffle and a stuffy nose and it has continued into today. It's one of the more annoying sicknesses you can have but right now I'm in that enjoyable medicinal daze, which is a nice feeling really. Almost like being buzzed but not quite. I can hardly feel anything at the moment.

Now...onto this weekend's recap. Good progress was made.

Friday evening I went to David Copperfield's alone. My friend had a last minute emergency and had to leave town. Such is the life of one on the 365 beer quest. There will be a lot of Tuesday nights when nobody wants to go to the bar.

At Copperfield's, I started off with:

26) Stoudts Winter Ale - Stoudts is another fine microbrewery out of Eastern Pennsylvania. At some point during this summer I am going to have to make a weekend trip to the region and visit all these breweries. This was a nice strong ale with a deep mahogany color. It was quite similar to the Weyerbacher winter offering.

27) Mendocino Red Tail Ale - A good amber ale with bitter hops on the finish.

That was all I could pull off, as I also had a burger and was stuffed. Without the food I could have kept going but I left with a smile on my face and another 2 beers on my list. I just can't eat they way I used to be able to.

Saturday I went to the supermarket and bought a bunch of individual bottles of some mass-market beers I have missed over the years. I am not really looking forward to drinking any of them but this is what I will have to put up with if I am to reach my goal.

28) Saranac IPA - Unremarkable, as with most stuff put out by Matt Brewing Co. Okay for someone looking to graduate from Budweiser to the good stuff but not something I would go back to.

29) Molson Canadian Light - I'm not even going to bother putting up a link for this junk. It's hard to keep track of the Molson line with all their variations. After buying this I had to be sure it wasn't already on my list. Thankfully it wasn't or I would have just poured it out. It was bad. Right down near the bottom of the quality scale along with Coors Light or Bud Light. Why anyone WANTS to drink a light beer...I don't know. None of the reasoning makes any sense. To save 30-50 calories? Big deal. Take a 20 minute walk later on. So you can drink more beer and thus get "drunker"? Drink a good Belgian beer and get the job done in 1/3 of the time.

Really the only purpose I can see in drinking this piss is to generate bigger belches. And this had me going almost all night.

Finally on Sunday, I avoided having any medicine all day so I could have a beer.

30) Sapporo Light - Just as bad as it sounds. Sapporo gets a link because I'm half-Japanese and because I like their Sapporo Reserve. That's about as low as I would stoop willingly.

Sunday afternoon I dropped by the Beverage Barn in East Meadow, Long Island and picked up 4 good beers. I won't tell you what they are now but they will appear on the list in the coming weeks.

Also thanks to the cool cashier dude who gave me this sweet Victory Storm King Imperial Stout sign. It is now proudly displayed here in my cubicle. For the record this is my current favorite beer of all time.

This week's schedule is going to be a bit weird. I'm going to take off today to do some much needed chores and recover from this cold. Tomorrow and Thursday I have defensive driving classes in the evening, after which I will pay visit to d.b.a. and Stout, respectively. Wednesday I'm leaving open but a visit to David Copperfield's isn't out of the question. Friday will be another day for chores and errands but I will probably hit up one of the bottles in my fridge in addition to going to the gym.

30 beers for the year... 335 to go...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?