Monday, January 16, 2006

 

A Visit to David Copperfield's

As I promised myself, I will be giving a brief rundown of the beers that I've had so far this year but first, let me talk about a little place called David Copperfield's.

Located in Manhattan on York Ave. & 74th St., David Copperfield's is one of the best beer bars in the city, hands down. The location is out of the way, so while it can take time to get there, its usually never that crowded. The staff is also knowledgable and friendly. It's a cozy place decorated with all kinds of beer-related paraphenalia so it really does feel like "home" for any beer enthusiast. They rotate their draught selections frequently, and have a large bottle selection. As with any good beer bar, there is usually something available on cask.

I stopped up there on Friday evening to meet up with my friend who wishes to be called "Big Daddy Cal." We got ourselves a table because we were both hungry. The food here is typical bar fare, but its better than most bar food.

Every night from 4pm to 7pm is happy hour, and we were just in time to have 1 $3 pint. We each chose the Bear Republic XP Pale Ale. This is one of the better American style pale ales you can get, and it went very well with the appetizer sampler we got.

Next, Big Daddy Cal chose the Climax ESB which was available on cask while ordering up a turkey burger. I decided to go with the Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier which was the best German Hefeweizen I've ever had. It had a wonderful cloudy yellow color and was dominated by a pleasant banana and wheat aftertaste. My friend also ordered one of these after downing his Climax.

For dinner I had the steak fajitas along with a glass of Victory Hop Wallop. Victory is definitely one of my favorite breweries. I am going to make it a point to visit them sometime in the summer.

I was finished at that point but Big Daddy Cal decided to do himself in and have a glass of Weyerbacher Insanity, which is a barley wine of 11.1% alcohol. I hope he made it home ok.

Up next... the recap of the beers I've had thus far this year.

Comments:
Beer--it's what's for dinner!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?