Friday, February 10, 2006

 

Burgers and Beer: A Match Made in Heaven

So last night after work I decided to make burgers. I tend to do many things in unconventional ways (the way I make music, eating pizza crust first to save the best tasting parts for last, etc) and the way I make burgers is no different.

Unless I am using a topping that is only suitable on top of the beef, like a fried egg, I just stuff everything into the meat.

Here is the recipe used for the burger I made last night:

flatten out 1/2 pound ground beef
add small bits of cheddar cheese
add bacon (make it crispy, then crumble it up)
add bbq sauce (I used Famous Dave's Rich & Sassy sauce given to me by a friend)
add cracked black pepper
add spices if you like

Roll it up in the beef and form a patty, covering up any holes where the filling might escape. Season each side with a little pepper and then sear it in a hot frying pan.

I found stuffing the meat this way can make the filling just explode in your mouth with all kinds of flavors, rather than having it all on top of the meat, where the distribution of topping to meat is a little unbalanced.

I paired this with:

55) Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock - Very dark brown pour. Fine bubbles form a thick head up top. Excellent roasted malt aroma. Very inticing stuff. Full bodied with complex dark, nutty, malty flavors and a hint of chocolate. This is also career beer #250 for me so it was nice to celebrate that milestone with the Celebrator!

55 down now, and 310 to go. Tonight I will have something else new from my fridge and will report back sometime after the weekend. Try making your next burger this way and let me know how it turns out.

Comments:
thanks tommy... keep reading & drinking

Nick
 
Ahh yes... good old Alton Brown. I enjoy his work and he is always informative. Though I will say I watched his homebrew episode and I didn't agree with his method of pouring beer into a glass.

This summer, at my yearly bbq, the theme will not be gourmet. Instead we will cook up the greasiest, juiciest, tastiest, drippiest burgers possible.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?