Monday, February 06, 2006

 

I knew it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart. You broke my heart!

I don't know if it is possible for one man to disappoint so many, but the scheduled #50 went belly up when the maker decided not to show up for the Super Bowl. Hopefully he still has some of the home brew left. If he doesn't, and he gave it out to whomever he was with, each and every one of those fuckers had better be a hardcore beer enthusiast. And I mean people who are deep into it.

Oh, and his special bonus brew he was going to get? We drank that.

The game sucked, as usual. Really boring, juiceless game. Most of the ads sucked as well. My favorite one was the MacGyver MasterCard ad. It was great to see Richard Dean Anderson back in the role, even for just 30 seconds. Really, I wish they could bring that series back. It was one of my favorites.

Anyways, onto the beer. I had a couple of beers earlier in the day, but nothing that was new to me. The honor of #50 for the year goes to:

50) Brooklyn Winter (Christmas) Ale - Dark mahogany color, almost no head. Faint spice aromas and a sweet malty taste. Average beer from Garret Oliver, a man who really has the love when it comes to making beer, drinking beer, and enjoying it with food. I've never had anything bad from him, but this was not one of his better creations.

51) Victory Moonglow Weizenbock - My goodness. The coolest looking beer I may have ever laid eyes on. Thick creamy head. Looks like liquid caramel. Sediment swirling around everywhere. Flavors are so complex and enjoyable. A distinct pear/bubblegum/banana characteristic. Another winner from Victory. They are fast becoming my favorite brewery. In fact I will make a permanent link to them on the side of my page.

52) Sierra Nevada Bigfoot - This is a barley wine, and a very good one at that. Better than the Brooklyn Monster Ale, which was also had during the Super Bowl. I tell you, we drank some pretty heavy stuff but nobody passed out. This particular version of barley wine had a definite bitter hop character up front, which was different. But then all the maltiness and alcohol follow that so it is balanced nicely. Very complex and enjoyable.

This is going to be a week of overtime at work so I don't think I'll be getting out to any bars for a while and money is a little tight thanks to my car's right front axle boot needing to be replaced. But no matter, I have 10 bottles to try at home so that should carry me well into the weekend.

And there is no rush anyway. At 52 beers down with 313 to go, I am half a month ahead of schedule. I'll check back in again tomorrow and we'll see if I have anything to add to the total. If not maybe we'll take a trip down memory lane.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?