Thursday, March 09, 2006

 

Smuttynose!

Last night Smuttynose Brewing was kind enough to bring some of the fruits of their labor to the Hop Devil Grill. Smuttynose brews out of New Hampshire, and they make some pretty good stuff. Prior to yesterday I have only had their Wheat Wine and Old Brown Dog. I enjoyed both so I was looking forward to this event.

Sadly it seemed the turnout was a little low. I don't know if it was because of the Keegan Ales launch the day before or what but I was disappointed that there weren't too many people there for this. Things did seem to pick up later in the night, but while some people ordered the flight I didn't get the impression that too many people came expressly for this event. Maybe there have been too many of them in a short amount of time?

Either way the guys from Smuttynose were great, and we even got a t-shirt for buying a flight.

The Wheat Wine was one of the beers they brought in, but since I already had that on my list I won't review it here. The other 4 beers, however, were new to me:

88) Smuttynose Big A IPA - This beer is officially going to be nicknamed the "Cracka Killa" because of its intense bitterness. It's right up my alley, I couldn't get enough and I love imperial/double IPAs. Very aromatic and intense.

89) Smuttynose Oak-Aged Barleywine - This is their barley wine but aged in a Jack Daniels oak barrel. Nice copper color and sweet flavors.

90) Smuttynose Smuttonator - You can tell from the name that this is a doppelbock. It was rich and malty and I would never have guessed it was at 9.6%.

91) Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale - A saison. Fruity, earthy and very refreshing stuff.

So I've got 91 in the books, and have to try 274 more before the year is out. Today is only the 67th day of the year so expect me to take my time in the coming weeks. If I don't post before the weekend then I'll be back early next week...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?