Saturday, April 29, 2006

 

Back from Sunny Florida

I returned yesterday morning from Orlando after a week down there on business. It wasn't as busy as I thought it would be so we did get to go out quite a bit. I could never live in Orlando because the bars all have to close at 2 a.m.

The highlight was probably when the company rented Universal Studios for the night. We had the whole park to ourselves and got to ride things like the Revenge of the Mummy, Men in Black, and Terminator in 3D. Orlando is great if you go there just to visit the theme parks and be a kid but if you are in the mindset to do some serious partying and drinking it is not that great a place.

So as you can imagine I have lots of updates to put in here. Let's start with a visit to the Ginger Man with my friend Kaval.

I fixed up his laptop and met up with him to return it and go for some brews.

127) Radeberger Pilsner - This is a German lager that was quite drinkable. The kind of beer to start a long drinking session with.

128) Coniston Bluebird XB - On cask. This was more of a pale ale to me than a bitter. A lot of sour hops and not much maltiness.

129) Kira Wit - For some reason I can't find any information about this beer or the brewery. If anyone knows where I can find their webpage, please send it my way. I can tell you it was a decent Belgian witbier. Not anywhere as good as a Hoegaarden and probably a lot better if you get it in a bottle.

The night before I flew out to Orlando I stopped off at my parent's house to drop off my car, because I needed to avoid the alternate parking rules here in the city. My mom bought a six pack of beer and I had one of the bottles.

130) Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale - A great amber ale, probably the best I have had to this point. It was a very complex brew highlighted by a beautiful caramel maltiness.

Down in Orlando I took advantage of any opportunity to have new beers. As it turns out, I only got the chance to have three. At all the company events they had Miller Lite, Bud, Coors Light, Miller High Life, Michelob Ultra, etc. So I drank my share of crap beer and even switched over to having margaritas at one point.

131) Hurricane Reef Pale Ale - An American style pale ale. This was pretty good. I drank it right out of the bottle at the bar so I couldn't tell you much about the color but it was dominated by a citrusy/grapefruit hop character with a creamy malt finish.

132) Key West Sunset Ale - This was also brewed by the Florida Beer Company. Had this one on draft at the hotel bar. Nothing to write home about. Amber color, not very hoppy.

133) Alligator Lager - This was brewed for the hotel, probably by the Florida Beer Company. I don't know if this was the exact name for the beer but it kinda sucked. The bartender threw the bottle into the recycler before I could ask to see it. Can't find any information about it anywhere. If you really must try it go to the poolside bar at the Rosen Centre.

133 beers down and 232 to go. So having the buffer paid off because during this 8 day stretch I only tried 3 new ones. While I was away, the latest shipment of beers in the beer of the month club came. I will start on those soon.

Because there was an abundance of free food and drink at the hotel this week I am going to take it easy this week. I need to get back on track, eating healthy and all that. I return to work on Monday and at most I will go out once this week.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?