Thursday, April 13, 2006

 

The Perfect Stout

Last night a friend came over to have me try to fix a problem with his laptop. He's the same guy who made the homebrew which was beer #105 this year. So at the same time I also wanted to reward him for his brewing efforts by sharing some good stuff that I had.

The other night was a revelation. I have met the perfect stout. It was the most perfect, well balanced, intensely aromatic, deeply flavorful stout I have ever had.

122) St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout - Luckily I had 2 bottles left, one of which I poured for my friend. This beer looks great. Murky and dark as night. Pours to a nice long lasting head - dark brown with small bubbles. Lasted the whole way down the glass. Aroma is intense. Like walking into the coffee aisle at your local supermarket, one where they have the fresh beans the do-it-yourself grinder, with a hint of chocolate in there as well. A winner from the first sip. Everything is just perfect, and in complete harmony. Like a supermodel with a brain. No wonder this is an award winner.

I got this beer from the Beer of the Month Club, and now is as good a time as any to talk about it, as I've mentioned it, but never really reviewed it here. First, I will say it is kind of pricey, but remember that much of the cost is going into the shipping. A box of 12 bottles, well packed, weighs 17 pounds. One month is $24.95 + shipping. The total each month is $36.95. So you are paying just over $3 a bottle. Sure, some of the beers are mediocre but there is no way in hell I was going to find this Oatmeal Stout anywhere unless I went to Montreal. So its clear to me that these guys care about sending you good stuff. If you are like me, and are willing to pay a premium to get beer you haven't been able to find anywhere else, then its totally worth the cost. I am halfway through my 6 month membership, and as of now it looks like I will definitely be renewing.

Oh, and the shipping materials are great. They have a special styrofoam insert which has slots for each bottle, so they are well protected. I have 2 boxes with the inserts, and I intend to send them to my brother in California so he can send me even more beer that has no NY distribution.

In addition to the Oatmeal Stout, I shared a bottle of my favorite beer, the Victory Storm King Imperial Stout, and a bottle of St. Bernardus Abt 12. We also talked about making a trip to PA to hit up all the top breweries in that state, and also taking a day to just bar hop the city in search of good beer.

My next shipment of beers from the club isn't due until the end of the month, and I only have 2 new bottles left at home, so tomorrow I will be making a trip to the store to replenish my supply of choices.

122 down and 243 to go... things are definitely coming along nicely.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?