Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

Impromptu visit to Angelo & Maxie's

So last night I was supposed to go to the Collins Bar for the Dogfish Head randall event but due to a scheduling conflict I couldn't make it. Most of the beer events in the city seem to take place on Wednesday nights and that is now not always an option for me. I'll still go to certain events but it most likely means I will have to catch the aftermath of the events on the following day and just buy individual pints instead of whole flights.

Was out with Tina and I decided that I desired red meat.

Went to the nearest Duane Reade to check the Zagat guide and the nearest steakhouse was Angelo & Maxie's. Overall my impression is it was okay. The meat was good but not the best in the city. While wd-50 is a must-try place, Angelo & Maxie's is the type of place I would go when you just happen to be around.

Like last night.

We were seated promptly without any reservations. It was pretty crowded and it was a typical manly steakhouse though without the gruff service. We actually had a waitress and she was pretty nice and attentive.

Started out with the bread. I liked the bread basket they gave out and you didn't even need butter for any of these. Take a look:


Basket o' Bread

You have those cracker things with the seeds. Onion bread with more oniony goodness stuffed inside. And do you see that long dark piece of bread? Do ya? It's pretzel bread and it was pretzel good.

At any meal you have to drink. This is the only beer related item of this blog. Tina didn't want to get a whole bottle of wine so instead I got beer. Otherwise I was gonna Cab Sav it.


Drinkssss

I got a draft Brooklyn Lager. Other choices available were macros. Tina got an apple martini, which looked pretty good.

My eyes were definitely bigger than my stomach, so I ordered up a French Onion Soup as an appetizer.


Soupe a l'oignon au gratinee

It was a typical steakhouse onion soup. For some good ones in the city try it at La Bonne Soupe or Les Halles. For the best in the world, go to Paris to the Les Halles neighborhood and eat at Au Pied du Chocon which I believe is open 24/7 so you have no fucking excuse not to go.

BRING ON THE MEAT!


Grilled Double Cut Rack of Lamb with Mint Jelly

Tina got the lamb as she often does. I didn't try it but she said it was okay, good quality meat, but a boring version.


Slab of meat

I got the 26 oz. ribeye, ordered medium rare as I always do. The meat was good quality and cooked to order but they should have seasoned it. I maintain that the best ribeye and the best steak period that I have had is at Strip House. They do an expert job with accentuating the natural flavor of the meat. The menu says this is available blackened which maybe I should have done. I do not like combining ribeyes with sauces. This cut is so well marbled the meat doesn't need any help. I would only trust Dylan Prime with putting toppings and sauces on my ribeye.

So, the question on everyone's mind is... did ya finish it?

No.


The aftermath.

I couldn't do it. Maybe it was because I had the soup but I cannot eat as much as I used to. Took the leftovers home in this cheesy looking doggy bag.


Cows.

Tina wanted dessert despite the fact that there are still cupcakes in the fridge. So I said fine. We split the warm chocolate souffle.


Chocolately richness

It wasn't like a real souffle, it was more like a warm brownie smothered in rich fudge. But steakhouses have never really been about the desserts.

Now I know I have let all the beer fans down over the past few days with these foodie posts but tonight I promise I WILL have a new beer. I have plenty of bottles to choose from but as always it will be a "game-time decision."

Check back tomorrow for a beer post, I promise!

Comments:
Just so you know...

The next time you complain about steaks, remember that I live in San Diego where you can't find a good steak anywhere. Seriously. They've got a Ruth's Chris out here, and that's obviously going to be pretty good. But other than that? Nothing.

Then again, I ate a milanesa torta in Tijuana last night, so suck it.
 
Really? That's quite a shock. I'd imagine there would have to be some good steaks available someplace other than Ruth's Chris.

San Diego is a town on the rise though, and I'm sure there will be plenty opening up in the future. When I was in Orlando last month there seemed to be tons of them that I never noticed before.

Next time you come to NYC, we'll make it a point to get you a steak at Strip House.

You will elaborate on this alleged milanesa torta eating.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?