Sunday, May 14, 2006

 

Is this how the Germans do it?

The Mets are killing me lately. Another bad loss and they have the off-day to think about it going into the series against Albert Pujols and the Cards, then back to NY for the subway series against the Yankees. Their lead in the NL East is down to just 1 game and I am really concerned about the team. They seem to have lost that swagger that they had earlier in the season.

Tonight for dinner I am again having sausages (this time with mushrooms) and pairing that with a new beer while watching the close of the Nets/Heat game.


Beer w/ Dinner (Sausages with sauteed mushrooms)

157) Erdinger Weissbier (Hefe-Weizen) - I also bought this bottle from Beer Garden here in Queens. An excellent German Hef. with the requisite refreshing fruity citrusy qualities I've come to expect from the Germans. Pours with a huge foamy head. The finish leans towards the sweet side. It's on some bottle lists around the city I believe so I will have to recommend this to Big Daddy Cal, as this is his favorite style.


Mmm... foamy!

So that's now 157 beers down and 208 to go. I am way too addicted to this photo thing now. It makes my blog look a lot better doesn't it? I may have another new one tonight but check back tomorrow for any new updates.

I feel like going for some gelato tonight for some reason.

Comments:
(sorry for such a long comment, but hefeweizen deserves it)

Ah, Erdinger Weissbier. I've drank so many gallons of that shit in my day. You should try Ayinger Hefeweizen if you like German style wheat beer. Clove and banana are the signature flavors you're looking for. And make sure to get all the yeast right into your glass (might require pouring most of the beer into the glass, then taking the little bit left in the bottle and rolling it on its side to catch all the yeast that's settled in the bottom of the bottle and then pouring that into your glass). It'll make you burp a lot, but it's worth it.
In my old homebrew club, this hippy kid (named Nick, incidentally) once gave a presentation on hefeweizen. Geeky, I know, but it was really interesting. Apparently, there is a way of pouring a hef. that is used in some parts of Germany. You take the bottle, put the glass upside down over the bottle, and then flip the whole thing over. Almost immediately, the liquid in the glass will be above the mouth of the bottle. Continue slowly raising the glass to remain just below the surface of the beer. I guess it's supposed to put a proper head on it or something. I've never tried this, though. Sounds like a mess. Tell me if you try it.
 
I've had the Ayinger... it is one of my favorite hefeweizens.

I actually used that method on this beer pictured. It really does work well. If you order a bottle of hefeweizen in any of the good beer bars in the city they will pour it that way if they are worth anything. Be careful though the first time you do it, it can sneak up on you.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?