Wednesday, May 17, 2006

 

wd-50 & Sugar Sweet Sunshine

Today's post is a beerless post. I know this is primarily a beer blog but this just has to be posted.
Last night went to wd-50 on the Lower East Side and did the 5-course dessert tasting.

OH MY GOD!

It was one of the best things ever. To go with the tasting, we got a bottle of JJ Prum reisling which went excellent with every plate.

Check out the pics!

Forgive me if the names of the dishes aren't accurate. I didn't take a copy of the menu and it was the first day they are running the summer menu, I believe, so the website isn't updated. Most of this is from memory so I might be wrong or forget ingredients.

You actually get 6 courses with the tasting, because this first one is a freebie:


Frozen tangerine with olive oil and basil

This went awesome with the wine. The olive oil added an interesting texture to the icy tangerine bits and the basil was awesome. The pairing of flavors that this restaurant comes up with are amazing.

Okay, 2nd course, first official course of the tasting!


Cornbread ice cream with corn dust and red onion

WOW! Holy shit this was so good. Never would I have imagined this combination would work. But the nuttiness of the corn was perfect with the savory red onion. I really contemplated ordering another one of these.

Onto course #3 (aka 2)...


Tonka bean creme brulee with cherry stuff

This is a new addition to the menu. I love creme brulee and this was awesome. The cherry dust on top was pretty tasty.

Moving right along...


Pumpkin cake with pumpkin & cream cheese sorbet

I think thats what he said it was. At this point I was blacking out and all that was running through my head was "yummmmmmmmm...."

In fact I forgot to take a photo of the next dish, which was manchego cheesecake with foamed pineapple and thyme sauce. I just ate it, then looked at the camera. Oops.

The final "official" course...


Carmelized banana with chocolate ice cream

Yes I know the photo sucks. The dessert, however, was amazing. I love chocolate & banana and anyone who doesn't like this combo I feel sad for.

Finally... since we were there for a birthday, and I had told them of this when I made the reservation, we got this little surprise...


IN YOUR FACE!!!!

This is chocolate cake with a candle on top, inside a carmelized sugar tube. FREAKIN' AWESOME! And the cake was perfect, not too rich or sweet. Just the perfect end to the meal...or in our case "extended dessert. "

AND YES IT DOESN'T END THERE!

On the way home I stopped into Sugar Sweet Sunshine and took home a six-pack of cupcakes, a piece of NY cheesecake, and a slice of the peanut butter icebox pie.


Behold!

Can't wait to see how long those last. As for the uber-delicious peanut butter ice box pie?

I started eating it on the subway. It was very tasty.

It didn't make it to West 4th St.

I have a picture of the aftermath but for some reason this stupid Blogger photo adding thing isn't working right and its not adding my photo. Jackasses. It's just a photo of the empty cup, and its not all that exciting really.

Anyways, in beer news, there is a great event tonight at Collins Bar. Read one of my old entries for information about that. I have to go somewhere tonight but I will try to stop in for a quick one. Hopefully I will get a picture or two out of it as well.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?