Friday, June 16, 2006

 

Bring me my grog, wenches!

Last evening Big Daddy Cal and I returned to the Hop Devil Grill for their latest beer event. Middle Ages Brewing was on hand to showcase 5 of their beers, including a new release.

With the nice weather, they had some tables setup outside, but we elected to move to the inside as we usually do. The last time we came here it was still too cold to sit outside. I think that may have been a few months back.

We arrived a little before the kegs were tapped, so we put in our food orders and got our first beers. Wednesday night is also Kill the Keg night, and there were 4 beers available for $3 a pint. Tonight's choices were the Stoudt's American Pale Ale, Olde Saratoga Premium Lager, Chelsea Standard Ale, and PBR!

I first asked for the Olde Saratoga, but they took that down to get one of the Middle Ages beers up.

Then we both asked for the Stoudt's. Same deal.

KEGS WERE GOING UP!

The waiter brought back two pints of Chelsea Standard Ale, which I wasn't crazy about trying at the moment, so while Big Daddy Cal drank his, I sent mine back in exchange for:

179) North Coast Scrimshaw - A fine pilsener from California. Nice foamy head with faint grassy aroma. Very drinkable especially as the weather warms up.


Scrimshaw

Soon after our food arrived, the Middle Ages kegs were all tapped and ready to go!

We ordered the $16 flight, which looked like this:


Beer... one after the other

As you can see above, I was almost halfway done with the first one when I realized I needed to snap a picture.

I'll review them in the order in which they were consumed.

180) ImPaled Ale - Very aromatic - piney I would say. Cascade hops dominate the finish, so its pretty bitter on the finish.

BREAKING NEWS!

I GOT BEER!

Here I am at work and a co-worker I helped out on a major problem showed his appreciation today by bringing over a bottle of Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Though it won't count towards my yearly total, its one of the best tokens of appreciation I've received on the job.

NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED BLOG!

181) The Duke Of Winship - The Duke is a porter. Big Daddy Cal didn't really like it, while I thought it was a decent porter with all the facets you are looking for in one. It has all the roasty aromas and flavors with some mild hop bitterness on the finish.

182) (XI) 11th Anniversary Ale - This is a new release, a double-wheat beer. I'm not a huge fan of the American Wheat style but this was ok, maybe becaue it was stronger than the norm.

183) Wailing Wench - With this beer I pass the halfway mark for my goal. This is a strong ale, similar to the Arrogant Bastard. Malty but with lots of hop bitterness in there as well.

184) (X) 10th Anniversary Ale - Struggled to finish because I was so full and drunk by this point. 10% alcohol, double IPA. Very intense and bitter. The finish lingerssssssss.

As we were finishing up, the bartender announced they were having a raffle. At some point the waiter dropped a bunch of tickets on the table and I split them up with Big Daddy Cal. There were 2 drawings, and guess who won the 2nd.

MEEEE!!!

Looky at what I won.


PRIZE!

I will probably push it up to 185 tonight (another Russian) and take it slow over the weekend. As I stand now, I have had 184 new beers this year and that leaves 181 to go.

BREAKING NEWS!

I GOT FREE LUNCH!

I saved the Vice President's PC and he's buying me lunch. Awesome.

Have a great weekend! LETS GO METS!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?