Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Farewell to the Cracka

Before we begin, check out this website, the International Beer Liberation Front. Support the cause and do your part to liberate as much beer as possible, whether it be bottles or cans, casks or kegs!

Well Cracka is heading to the west coast, so this weekend we held a little farewell dinner and drinking thing to send him off on his merry way.

This weekend was also a good one to be a Mets fan, watching them drub the Diamondbacks. The Braves are way back now, and I don't know if they have what it takes to catch the Mets this year.

My new policy, which I will try to uphold, is to get a picture of every new beer I try. Since I didn't have the camera at Cracka's farewell bash, I just drank stuff I already had before.

Here's one from the past that I didn't get a picture of last time. It is the River Horse Hop Hazard Pale Ale, and it was beer #149 on the year.


#149

Now this weekend due to a lack of funds mainly, I decided to work over some of the bottles I have in the fridge.

First one up was:

174) Hair of the Dog Rose - This Belgian inspired brew comes to us all the way from Portland, Oregon. Hair of the Dog is a highly regarded microbrewer and this is the first beer I've been able to try from them. This is in the tripel style. You can see that this beer has a thick, apple cider-like appearance. It's cloudy and opaque. Rather sweet with a cotton candy finish. Overall I liked it but I have had better in the style.


Hair of the Dog Rose

175) Heavyweight Stickenjab Alt Bier - Beer #175 comes to us from New Jersey. This is an altbier and only the 2nd one that I've had. I'd like to have a few from Germany but I will say I rather enjoyed this. It had a sweet caramel aroma and better depth of flavor than the Tuckerman I had a while back.


Heavyweight Stickenjab

Yesterday I stopped at another supermarket close to my house, but in the Russian section. I bought 9 new bottles of assorted Russian, Ukranian, and Czech beers. Expect to see a little glasnost spirit on toomuchbeer.com for the next week.

I opened one of them with dinner last night.

176) Ochakovo Zhigulevskoe - Apparently a "zhigulevskoe" is a style of Russian lager. Pours a pale gold with a fluffy head that dissipates quickly. Taste and aroma is that of sweet corn. Finish was... buttery?


Vodka this ain't.

No beer for me today, as its a gym day, but I will have more Russian beer for you this week.

Here are the stats:
176 new beers down and 189 to go.

Comments:
Thanks for the weekend. Good times. Good...drunk...times.

Keep up the good work and I'll follow from the left coast.

-Cracka
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?