Monday, June 05, 2006

 

Westside Brewing Company

Please excuse me, as two of the beers on today's update are photoless, as I didn't have the bulky ol' digital with me at the time.

This Saturday I popped in mid-day to the Westside Brewing Company for lunch. The visit was unplanned and I kind of stumbled upon it whilst looking for a place. At first, I wasn't going to have any new beers, specifically because I didn't have the camera, but I figured why waste a good opportunity to further my goal.

I sat at the bar, there was plenty of space. For food, I ordered a cheesesteak, which was ok. The onion rings were decent though.

The name "Westside Brewing Company" is a misnomer, as they are not a brewpub, nor do they even make their own "house beer." The house beers are all made by the Chelsea Brewing Company.

Nonetheless, the tap selection is decent, and the bottled list looked like it had some good stuff on it.

The first beer I had was:

169) Brooklyn Light Ale - When trying numerous beers in one sitting, always try the lighter stuff first. Don't start with an imperial stout then work backwards to something like this, as it will kill the flavors. Anyways, this is a good alternate for other light beers. There is actually some body to this unlike the piss water most people drink.

Ended my stay here with:

170) Sixpoint Black Soul - This is a nice porter also brewed in Brooklyn, NY. Lots of roasty, chocolately aromas. A little hop bitterness on the finish. Nice beer overall.

At home on Saturday night I opened a new bottle:

171) Atwater Dunkel - Since I was at home, I got a photo of this one. This is from a brewpub in Detroit, and I received the bottle as part of a Beer of the Month club shipment. Dunkel means dark in German, and this is a lager style. I'm not crazy about dunkels. I don't think I've had one that has endeared itself to me. I don't really like the sweetness here.


Atwater Dunkel

Yesterday on the way home I picked up 6 new bottles from Whole Foods, so I have a total of 16 bottles at home ready to be added to the list. That should at least get me through the halfway mark.

As it stands, I'm at 171 new beers for the year and 194 to go. Today is a no-alcohol day so check back later this week.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?