Wednesday, July 05, 2006

 

MEGA UPDATE!

It's been a while. I have a lot of updates to go through, and I'm going to tackle them all in one fell swoop. There has been much progress on the beer front over the July 4th weekend, and even before then.

Lets go back to June 25th.

That day I made a trek out east with Tina to visit some wineries and bakeries. Mostly bakeries though. And we got some ice cream. See my earlier post for a list of the places we went to, they were all the same.

But here's a new pic!


YUMMMM!

That's a peanut butter sundae from Snowflake. Notice the goopy peanut butter sauce drooping over the side of the cup. Mmm... I must do this again soon. Also notice that the picture is a lot clearer than my past pics. I got a new camera but I think I mentioned that... maybe.

Lets skip ahead to June 29th and the Captain Lawrence event at David Copperfield's.

Went in on a rainy Thursday evening with Big Daddy Cal and Tina. Yes, we got soaked but there's no more hospitable place to pop in than David Copperfield's. We felt like weary travellers happening upon a nice unknown neighborhood spot but we felt right at home.

I said hello to Joe the bartender, and then we sat down at our table to taste the beers of Captain Lawrence, from right upstate in Pleasantville. Big Daddy Cal and I each ordered the sampler. Scott from Captain Lawrence brought their entire line in for the event.

Check it out:


Sampler!

Now, they were going to have another version of the Captain's Reserve on cask but they had some trouble finding the pin, so that didn't go up until after we left. The St. Vincent's Dubbel was available in the bottle.

In the picture above, from left to right, are the Pale Ale, the Liquid Gold, the Porter, and the Captain's Reserve.

196) Captain Lawrence Pale Ale - This is a pale ale containing American hops (Cascade, Crystal, and Columbus to be exact). The aroma is piney and distinctly American. The bitterness of this beer is nicely balanced out with a malty sweetness on the finish.

197) Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold - The gold color of this beer may make you think there is not much behind it but wow is this a complex brew. The aroma is spicy and earthy with orange and banana flavors to follow. Big Daddy Cal really loved this one.

198) Captain Lawrence Porter - This porter is actually smoked, and the aroma lets you know it right up front. The smoked wood aroma is something else. The flavor is smoky as well, and you also get the classic roasted malt and coffee flavors you expect from a good porter. This is excellent stuff and I hope they bring it back to David Copperfield's in the colder months.

199) Captain Lawrence Captains Reserve - This is their double IPA. Very hoppy and bitter. This is all intense hops on the nose. Like any good beer of this style, the malt is strong enough to balance out those hops.

Since we got the sampler but the cask version of the Reserve wasn't available yet, I got another beer to replace that one.

200) Sierra Nevada Torpedo Ale - I read that this is the same recipe as the Celebration Ale, but that the dry hopping method is different. This is a new release as well. Hoppy and aromatic like the Captain Lawrence I had earlier but this was a little more intense. Didn't get a picture because I pretty much downed it before I realized.

Jump ahead to the July 4th weekend. I began by watching Germany's World Cup match and figured what better way to celebrate than with a German Hef.

201) Schneider Weisse Original - Darker color than what I'm usually used to. Nice fluffy head that lasts long. Flavors of banana, clove, and even a little apple. One of the top 5 German hefeweizens I have ever had.


Schneider Weisse

On Saturday the 1st, we had a little BBQ at Jeff's place. Check out my Flickr page for those pics, but here is the beer I brought along to add to my list.

202) Rogue Seahorse Pale Ale - This was a 22 oz. bomber. Hazy orange color with hop aromas with a hint of malt. Caramel flavors mostly, with a bitter finish.


Seahorse Pale Ale

On Monday, I went to do a little shopping in the Soho area. I made plans to meet up with Big Daddy Cal for a quick drink, but before that I went to Vol de Nuit in the Village. The frites were the best part. The guy working the bar was a moron. The first thing I asked for was the Strubbe Pilsner ($4), which he gave me. Then later I asked for a Delirium Tremens ($8), and a La Chouffe ($8). He charged me for 2 Deliriums.

Number one, how does one confuse "Delirium" with "Strubbe Pils". It's not even close verbally.

Second, WHO THE FUCK DOES THIS GUY THINK HE'S TALKING TO?!?!?!

I HAVE A GODDAMN BEER WEBSITE!

I have tasted a shitload of beer.

I could taste the fucking differences in those drinks like its nothing. I know what I ordered and I know what I drank.

I'm through with Vol de Nuit. It's all vibe. Sure the frites are good, the atmosphere is very "European" and the courtyard is rustic and relaxing but this place is off my list because of the bartender. I had heard the owners were pricks but never experienced that until now.

Maybe I'll do a chargeback on my credit card.

Afterwards, I walked with Big Daddy Cal to the East Village and we went to the Hop Devil Grill.

203) Berliner Kindl Weiss Mit Schuß Him-Beere - Don't ask me to translate that. This was the first time I tried something like this and I didn't like it. It was way too sweet and syrupy. It was kind of like drinking a Shirley Temple that has been going flat.


Syrupy beer

Had a couple others to finish out the weekend.

204) Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen - Ayinger just makes great stuff and this was hands down the best Oktoberfest I have ever had. I can't wait for the fall months when I will get another bottle of this.


The greatest Oktoberfest in the world.

The latest beer I had was #205 for the year and my #400 beer overall.

205) Fullers ESB - Malty with a sweet grape flavor. Slightly bitter finish. Very drinkable - I could have this all day.


#400 all time.

If you're still reading, I currently stand at 205 for the year and 160 to go. That's a 2 1/2 week lead.

Tonight there is supposed to be a Southhampton event at the Hop Devil Grill, which I will certainly attend. Maybe I'll do the event beers then pop next door to the Belgian room for another beer and perhaps some frites.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?