Saturday, July 29, 2006

 

Playing Catch Up

Y'all thought I had disappeared and given up the game, didn't ya?

NO WAY!

I am in this for the long haul my brothers!

I apologize for the lack of updates the past 2 weeks. I was away in Japan, and didn't really have the time to update the site. I have a lot of new updates to put up, including several new beers I had in Japan. In addition, I will use this blog space to put up a review of my trip, so expect a little non-beer content to slip in over the next several posts.

But let me begin by entering 2 beers I had before I departed.

There are no photos here because stupid Blogger's photo uploader isn't working. So I put these 2 on my Flickr page.

217) GĂ©ants Goliath - Also known as the Gouyasse Tripel. This is a Belgian ale at 9% alc. by vol. Pours a thick gold color with a foamy head. Yeasty and bready aromas with a hint of spice. Unlike other tripels, this has no sugar. It is all malt and is apparently the only one in Belgium to do it this way. So it gives it a unique character that might be a little drier than others. Luckily for me, the beer club screwed up and sent me 6 bottles of this instead of just 3, so i still have several to save.

The weekend before leaving for Japan I had a BBQ on Long Island. My brother was in town from California as well. As usual, I pulled out the trusty garbage can, filled it with ice and beer and we went to town.

Jeff brought a six pack of a beer I haven't had before. As he put it, he picked up the most obscure looking beer he could find.

218) Gearys Hampshire Special Ale - This stuff was a bit strong for such a hot day but I liked the hop bitterness on the finish. It's an English strong ale. I drank it right from the bottle, BBQ style, so I don't know what i looks like and I couldn't give you an accurate description of the aroma except that it had a citrusy character most likely indebted to the use of Cascade hops.

So that's 218 down and 147 to go. I still have 12 beers to review if you want the up to the minute count.

Up next... JAPAN!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?