Wednesday, August 23, 2006

 

K-Town

Last Friday night I met up with a bunch of friends after work and we went on a romp through Korea Town (K-Town).

For most of them, it was the first time they had Korean BBQ, so I took them to Kang Suh, which I think is the best place on 32nd St. There is a Kum Gang San across the street, but it is not as good as the Flushing location. The Flushing KGS is even better than Kang Suh, in my opinion.

Had an opportunity for a new beer here...

245) Hite - Pretty standard lager, though I thought it was better than the other Korean lager we see around here a lot, OB. Someone else ordered the OB, and I did a side by side tasting, and the Hite is definitely a tastier product. Still, it really isn't that good. Basically the Korean version of Miller.



After the tasty Korean BBQ, we all headed up to the rooftop bar. We got a table pretty quickly and it wasn't all that crowded even for a Friday night. The secret doesn't seem to really be out yet, so I'm going to keep it that way and not tell you where it is, because I'm a selfish bastard. When the word gets out or if it starts to see a steady crowd, then I'll blab, but I hate when a good thing is spoiled by crowds or the wrong type of people.

Right now this place is really laid back, and I don't want any bottle service scenesters ruining it. Stick to the Ava Lounge, if you velvet rope douchebags really need to drink on a roof.

There were two beers available here that I had never tried. One is quite common and may surprise you that I haven't had it before. But first...

246) Sol - From Mexico. Like a Corona but probably not as good because the flavor isn't as upfront. Any beer where you have to put a lime in it to improve the flavor can't be all that drinkable. But I downed it, and moved on. Next time I will only have this with Mexican cuisine.



247) Red Stripe - This one might surprise you. I had always had the impression that Red Stripe would be Schlitz-awful. But don't judge a book by its cover or a beer by its label. This was actually a pretty good lager. Has a very distinct and interesting taste. Its hard to describe. Its almost like they put just a slight drop of amaretto into it, giving it a kind of waxy/papery aftertaste. But its actually appealing.



After those I had an Anchor Steam and we all went home happy.

On Saturday night, I added a bottle to my list. This one I bought at Mitsuwa supermarket in New Jersey.

248) Orion Premium Draft Beer - This comes to us from Okinawa. Light grainy aroma. Light bodied beer with a crisp finish. Taste is also very grainy. Not as good as the main line beers of the big 3 Japanese brewers.



Tonight there is an Ommegang event at the Belgian Room, followed up tomorrow with an Oskar Blues event at the Hop Devil. I will be unable to attend either event, but I suggest you check it out. There will be a bourbon barrel aged Old Chub on tap tomorrow.

248 beers down with 117 to go. I'm still slightly behind on my blogging, so the actual up to the minute number is slightly higher. I'll catch up on everything in my next post.

Comments:
I believe that Taka Sushi in Westbury has Orion
 
Taka always has the good stuff.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?